Bharwa Bhindi Recipe | Bharli Bhendi | Stuffed Okra with detailed photo and video recipe.
One fine day while I was planning to make stuffed okra / bharwa bhindi / bharli bhendi in my usual north-indian traditional style, i was suggested by my maharashtrian neighbour to try the maharashtrian version instead using the grounded peanut, coconut powder and goda masala. Her recommendation prompted me to try a new recipe.
This form of bharwan bhindi is simple recipe to make. Cooking bhindi(lady finger) doesn’t take much time. Preparing stuffing also is quite simple and quick act.
The stuffing consists of coarsely grounded peanuts, fresh coconut and jaggery along with other spices. We can also use desiccated coconut or khopra instead of fresh coconut. Garlic and fresh coriander used in this recipe render an amazing flavour to the stuffing.
The recipe uses goda masala/kaala masala– a maharashtrian spice mixture. It is almost garam masala except a few spices here and there. But if you dont have it, use garam masala instead. Even I have also used garam masala and it also tasted equally good.
The recipe is quite easy to prepare but make sure that you wipe the okra dry after washing otherwise the dish might become soggy due to excess water.
Stuffed bhindi is an amazing preparation and this recipe also is equally delectable when compared with north Indian style. This flavourful recipe goes well with chapatis, parathas, rice etc
Bharwa Bhindi Recipe | Bharli Bhendi | Stuffed Okra
- 1/2 cup Peanut
- 1/3 cup Grated Dry Coconut (khopra)
- 1 tbsp Gram Flour
- 2 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tsp Jaggery
- 2 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Goda Masala/ Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to Taste
- 300 gram Bhindi / Okra / Lady Finger
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- Heat a pan, add the peanuts and dry roast them until they are slightly golden. Remove from the flame.
- Remove the skin of peanuts and blend them in a mixer to powder.
- Take a bowl, add powdered peanut and all the ingredients listed above in the stuffing column.
- Mix all the spices together. The stuffing for the bhindi is ready.
- Now take the bhindi. Trim the top end. Slit each bhindi vertically, without cutting it into two halves.
- Fill each bhindi carefully with the spice mixture. Make sure to stuff them well with a generous amount of masala. Stuff all the bhindies in the same manner.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add the stuffed bhindies and arranged them in a single layer.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer with the pan covered for about 2-4 minutes.
- Open the pan and carefully flip each bhindi.
- Cover the pan and cook until bhindi turns tender.
- Bharwa bhindi / bharli bhendi is ready.
Psst… If you try one of my recipe send me a pic of it on Instagram or just use the hashtag #tadkaqueen, I would love to feature you. Also don’t forget to follow me on Instagram or Facebook for regular updates. I share a lot of easy and fun recipes – Milkshake, Dessert, Healthy Breakfast Recipe, Snacks etc. You’ll love all the deliciousness there, go check out! ❤️